We lost the ability to do a lot of activities in 2020, one of which was a favorite of mine – going to the movie theater to see the latest blockbuster. I was only able to see three movies in an actual theater, for the rest I had to resort to streaming services which was ultimately fine because I got to watch the movies I missed while they were released. It was also nice to just curl up on the couch with my dog and not worry about people talking or being on their phones in the middle of a film. Although I will be extremely happy once it’s really safe to back to the theater and enjoy a large bucket of popcorn.
Out of the movies I was able to consume in the last year I was honestly surprised that Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey was my favorite. I was so reluctant to watch it because I was a bit disappointed that the Joker wasn’t going to be featured but it was far better than expected. I even purchased to soundtrack. Margot Robbie does such a great job capturing Harley’s erratic yet bubbly personality and the heartbreak that she goes through that could cause any woman to go crazy. The film is a bit unique too because of the sheer amount of girl power surrounding it, and the teaming up of heroes, villains, and vigilantes. Ultimately I’m glad I gave this movie a chance.
I don’t really think I watched anything this year and truly disliked it. I was a bit underwhelmed by A Silent Voice after being pressured into watching it because of how sad it’s supposed to be. The movie is definitely highly successful for it’s beautiful animation and rawness for dealing with mental health but I didn’t have as much of a visceral reaction as others who told me to watch it. I didn’t cry at all but I definitely felt the sadness and hardship from the two main characters and I’d still recommend it to others.
As I said earlier, I’ll be very happy to start going back to the movie theaters once it’s entirely safe to do so, but the absence of that experience won’t stop me from enjoying movies. I’m patiently waiting for several to come out this year and I’m sure I’ll find some movies from years past to get into. Hope everyone out there has a better year than the one we just went through!
Full List of Movies Watched in 2020 *animes are listed if I watched them subbed or dubbed*
- Jumanji: The Next Level (2019; Jake Kasdan)
- Bad Boys For Life (2020; Bilall Fallah; Adil El Arbi)
- A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (2019; Marielle Heller)
- Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey (2020; Cathy Yan)
- Booksmart (2019; Olivia Wilde)
- Frozen II (2019; Jennifer Lee; Chris Buck)
- Yesterday (2019; Danny Boyle)
- Ready or Not (2019; Matt Bettinelli-Olpin; Tyler Gillett)
- Jojo Rabbit (2019; Taika Waititi)
- Crawl (2019; Alexandre Aja)
- The Best of Enemies (2019; Robin Bissell)
- Onward (2020; Dan Scanlon)
- Zombieland: Double Tap (2019; Ruben Fleischer)
- Queen & Slim (2019; Melina Matsoukas)
- 13th (2016; Ava DuVernay)
- The Hate U Give (2018; George Tillman Jr.)
- Just Mercy (2019; Destin Daniel Cretton)
- A Silent Voice (2017; Naoko Yamada; subbed)
- My Hero Academia: Two Heroes (2018; Kenji Nagasaki; subbed)
- My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising (2019; Kenji Nagasaki; subbed)
- It Chapter 2 (2019; Andrés Muschietti)
- Abominable (2019; Jill Culton)